Saturday, August 18, 2012

Japas

This place used to be known as Tomodachi. This place used to be really expensive It still is to some degree. Many people used to hate Tomodachi for its expensive and mediocre food. I remembered that I didn't go there all that often.
But when I heard that this place changed name, menu, prices and quality of food to much better...I figured that I better return.
It is run by almost the same people that ran Tomodachi.
The place was a buzz with people- Asian and non Asian. My server was Australian.
I had eight plates off the train, a green tea, dessert and Agedashi tofu for $47.50. I had a $50 gift card on me thanks to the Student Union. They thanked me for volunteering with them and it was my birthday.
All the plates on the train are $3.80 each. They should tell us or put a big sign up so we know and are not kept in the dark about this. For some people it might be deceptive. For me it wasn't because I did some research on the place before coming
I had a vegetable roll and here everything fell apart. The rice was not that nice. Same as with the tamago sushi. The egg was not as sweet as it should be.
But I loved the nigiri sushi. It was here that everything was fresh and didn't fall apart. I loved the one with the Spanish onion twist to it.
I loved the seaweed salad where everything was as fresh as. I love simple food and this was pure and simple with no dressing to it.





















I often order green tea at Japanese places just to see if they are really Japanese. I wasn't all that pleased with it. The green tea wasn't all that flavoursome. But I got a few refills for free so why not?
The miso soup was a tad bit too salty for me. But I loved the tofu bits to it. I guess that this is probably from a packet? It came within five minutes which led me to believe that they just used a packet.
The agedashi tofu was nice, but again the sauce was too overpowering and salty. I t came out five minutes after it was ordered which led me to believe that it was microwaved.
There was no inari on the train so I had to order that. When it came it was three small pouches. For that price I would expect two big pouches full of rice, not three really vinagared pouches.
The dessert was good but for $6.80 I would have loved some garnish on the top to make it look nice. Cutting costs perhaps? It was a green tea creme brulee. I loved the green tea flavour to this.
When I come back I would probably go with my beer loving friend and try the hot meals as they looked good. I also heard that the beer is really good but I don't drink alcohol.
Many thanks to the Student Union for providing me with a gift card. Don't come here and not expect to pay heaps. If you work at a really good workplace and they give you a gift card for Melbourne Central use it in here as you would not have to pay a single cent. Go for the experience.
Japas on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...