Friday, May 16, 2014

A ten course meal at China Bar Signature


And all for $29 per person at lunchtime. At dinnertime it is $33 per person, but they have more options.
There wasn't much service but that was ok as it was self service. 
Flowers

Upstairs section which is more refined

Here they are not all about the service rather you help yourself to food. For me this is a ten course course degustation meal as some courses were rather small.

I didn't order drinks this time as I knew there would be soup and drinks are about $9 per glass.

The courses are listed as such.

1) Salad
The lettuce was very fresh. The pasta was al dente and didn't have too much dressing which I liked. I hate things in too much dressing. I like simple food. The feta in my salad was creamy.
Lettuce leaves

Croutons

2) Tom Yam soup (its actually Tom Yum soup, which is Thai).
It was spicy but not too spicy. This is great for those that can't stand the heat.
Each bowl had a mussel and prawn in there.I had to peel the prawn though and there was no hand towel to clean my hands. So I went upstairs to the bathroom to wash my hands


3) Chawanmushi (Japanese)
This was a miss as it was lukewarm. The crab stick was very sweet. The prawn was a little bit tough.

4) Sushi and seaweed salad.
The seaweed salad was store bought, but the sushi was freshly made. They had the big chunks of fish there, but no sashimi. Sashimi is not available until dinner.

Some of the sushi was a bit dry from being out for too long. What they should do like the ice creams is to put it in a refrigerated area.

I loved the pickled ginger and the roe sushi. I also loved the cucumber one.

5) Prawn wonton and moneybag
The money bag was lukewarm, but the wonton was nice and crunchy. It was also steaming hot.

The wonton station


6) Other Dim Sum
My favourite for that course was the nai wong bao which was steaming hot. The vegetable dumpling stuck to the paper and the har gow was just ok. A bit meh.
The tempura was a bit soggy but the potato one was the best one out of all of them. It was crunchy, just the way that I liked it.
The station where you can choose your dumplings


7) Rice, fish bites and fish cakes
I really didn't like the fried rice. The fried rice for me had waaaay too much msg in there as well as the fact that the rice was too dry. It had been sitting in the bain marie for too long. The rice was very salty
The fish bites and cakes were great though and the bain marie there kept on being refilled.
The Hainan chicken and meat station


8) Cheese and fruits
There was brie and cheddar. The cheddar was very plasticky but the brie was lovely and creamy. The fruits were fresh though.

At the cheese station the crackers looked a bit dodgy,

9) Desserts
The green honey dew jelly was a bit artificial for my liking and the mango pudding had no taste. My favourite would have to be that cake which was light and airy. It was a white chocolate gateau.

10) Cookies and ice cream
The Ice cream was the best. Here you can choose between 6 flavours and I chose the mango one. I can't really comment too much on this because I haven't tried these sorts of ice creams before. But I woud have liked to try their fondue but I was too full from this.

Almond cookies

Ice cream

Chocolate fountain


Verdict: Best to get there early as by 12:30pm the place was full and all the stuff was almost gone. Its also best to book ahead as seating is limited and there were big groups that day.

I would have liked to have tried the cook to order station and chocolate fountain but I was way too full. There seemed to be a wait at that station
China Bar Signature on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...