Friday, April 11, 2014

Food Republik

I went to Box Hill for a second time and this time around I decided to revisit Food Republik. Food Republik is owned by the same guy who owns Taiwan cafe.

Like Pappa Rich you decide on what you want and then you write it down on paper. And then you give it to the waiter/waitress.  The food comes within five to ten minutes. Personally I would have liked a little bit more care in the food.
The papers which are hanging

The bird cage


The wait staff here are unattentive. The waitress that I had looked like she didn't want to be there. Perhaps they were underpaid? The guy was lovely though.

A group of four came about ten minutes after I did and they looked like they were fairly new customers. They had no idea of the ordering system and the way how it worked here as the wait staff did not explain to them. I of course, this being my second time explained to them.

There isn't a lot of vegetarian dishes on the menu but they sure do have a lot of popcorn chicken. Some of the dim sum were not available.

In the end I relented to having mapo tofu (vegetarian $9.50 with rice), stir fried vegetarian udon ($9.50), chinese stick donuts ($2.30- I really wanted to try these last time but was too full) and pan fried vegetarian dumplings ($5.50).

The first dish to the table was the stir fried noodles- I really did like these as they had lots of wok hei to it and they were the right amount.

The mapo tofu was next. I really liked the tofu and the sauce. The sauce had the spicy kick to it. I didn't really enjoy the rice. The rice was too cold and had been sitting there for a long time.  The bok choy was just ok.

Then came the Chinese Donut- it had the right amount of fluffiness to it, but what I would have like to have seen is some condensed milk or some sort of sauce. There was a whole puddle of oil down the bottom.

Last but not least is the pan fried dumplings.  I really wanted these after watching the people make it. They looked nice when they came to the table and they were nice. But it would have been nice if they came with some vinegar.

Making dumplings

Verdict: I might just pop by again to try the fish balls. But I'm not sure that I will go out of my way just to visit them when there is better in the city.


Food Republik on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...