Saturday, August 24, 2013

Eating at Canton Malay cafe

As part of Bupa's best blog competition for 2015

Canton Malay cafe has just recently opened in the Queen Victoria Market at the place where it used to be Canton Fast foods.
Entrance
Menu
Someone's soup
Sauces
 
 
 
Toppings that you can choose from
 
 

My guess is that they are a family owned business. I can tell just by the way that they are speaking to one another in a frinedly manner. The lady that works there and that served me was happy. So was the younger looking woman.

Now because this is in a food court there is limited seating at the place. But they do have an open kitchen in which you can see the chefs making your dish. Btw there is a production line in there.

The prices are reasonable. Expect to pay around $8-$11 for most dishes. They do vegetarian dishes as well as meat ones. But there is no dessert. Oh and they have five different types of chilli for you choose from.

Chinese tea is $2 and it comes in a paper cup.

I was eating in the food court, hence my noodles came in a big bowl ($9.50 for vegetarian one) and my jasmine tea came in a paper cup. WTF? Especially if the market is trying to be environmentally friendly. It seemed a little expensive to me.

But don't get me wrong though. I loved my big bowl of noodles to cure away the winter blues. I loved the eggplant and the tofu. But I just didn't like the carrots in it- it seems that they have used frozen carrots rather than fresh ones.  But I loved the chillis though especially the green ones.

I would love to see them doing desserts and steamed dim sims especially for yum cha. Eg: The nai wong baos, chicken baos etc. And even having pots of tea would be good.

I would love to come back with Kenny from Consider the Sauce but just no tea next time though.
Canton Malay on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...