Saturday, August 24, 2013

Samurai

As part of our At home and Abroad series

Samurai has been around for a while and already they are in the Top One Hundred on Urbanspoon.  They had been opened for about a year. So after my meeting with some of the International students in Swinburne  Uni (about 200 metres away) I went to Samurai for lunch. I have forgotten to do my lunch yet again.

But luckily I have read some of the reviews online and heard that they have $12.50 bentos and cheap lunches for uni students and everyone alike.





The place like everyone said is rather small. But go there during the week at lunchtimes and it isn't as bad as everyone is getting takeaway.

The bathrooms are up a steep flight of stairs and they are just a tad bit dirty.

The service was just ok. My waitress didn't smile, but she did usher me to a seat and they were fairly busy given the hype.

I had the sushi bento which contained miso soup, nigiri, salmon, carrots, seaweed salad and fruit. Now some people don't like seaweed salad. That's fine, you can ask to have it without. There is also the meat version as well.

I also ordered as a side, Agedashi tofu ($4). The Agedashi tofu was the worst I have ever had. It was soggy and I like it in four little cube. Not one big cube. And where are the bonito flakes.

But on the other hand I loved my bento and the free green tea. The miso soup was lovely with lovely little cubes of bean curd. Now that is what I call authentic.

The sushi wasn't the best though :(. The rice was warmish and a tad bit sweet for my liking. But I liked the fish though. Its just that the rice had let it down.

I loved my sashimi and my salads. They were yummy and fresh.

The fruits were just ok.

If I have another meeting in Swinburne I might come back. But this is a great place for cheap Japanese if you don't mind the service too much. Oh and they do takeaway too.
Don't forget to bring plenty of cash as they don't do EFTPOS for purchases under $25 (with the exception of lunch where it is over $10).


Samurai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...