Friday, May 23, 2014

Simply Spanish

RNIS was invited by the owner Ilyas to attend the media launch and lunch.


There is a new Simply Spanish in the city at 555 Bourke st. This is near Southern Cross station.
Simply Spanish is a well known South Melbourne Market institution and now they have opened a second store in the city. This is great for the uni students and office workers alike. Here they have $14.50 paellas.
Chilli oil to which you can add to the paella

The chickpeas that they use

Bread and oils

They are open on Thursday and Friday nights for dinner and weekdays for lunch.

The bathrooms are outside and downstairs. They share with Pok Pok, Famished and another coffee place.

The staff are very attentive and are always happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Simply Spanish has been opened for a few months now. They are known for their paellas. A paella is a Spanish rice dish cooked outside in a big pot. For this they use the special Spanish paella rice.
Skewers

Other tapas

At the launch I tried jamon which a Spanish cured ham. That on a tiny piece of bread with fresh tomato sauce known as a pintos. It was salty and flavoursome.

Tomato sauce

Meat station

Oils and chilli

 I also tried some weird known mushroom dish.

There were potato tortillas for the vegetarians. The tortillas are made out of potato and egg and are usually served as a huge wedge. I had this at the lunch as well as the dinner.
Above is the goat cheese ball which I had at lunch

Empandas are snack sized pastries filled with savouries such as meat or veg. But this one was just meat and no veg.

And then I was invited to a Friday lunch at the same place.

The service was friendly and very attentive. The place wasn't busy when I came at 11:30am, but come 12:30pm it was really busy.

Entree: I had the same potato tortilla ($8.50 for a serve) and a little goats cheese ball ($4). I loved the sweetness of the caramelized onion at the bottom and it was nicely fried. 

The paella was nice, but the calamari was chewy and rubbery. It had been overcooked. The rice was a bit crunchy which is great for a paella.
Cooking paella on launch night


I loved the mussels in this though. They were easy to eat.

I also had the bread which was freshly baked and just juice.

Juice ($3.50 for a bottle)

Bread (normally $2.50 extra)
But on my way out I sampled some churros and they were yummy. I have to come back for dessert and the $10 churros. I was too full to try these.

Do come and visit for some fresh Spanish food in the city. Thank you Ilyas for inviting me.
Simply Spanish on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...