Monday, November 11, 2013

My week on Ready made meals

This was a week long project in which I had to live on two minute meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What really inspired me to do the project is that many students live off these meals and they don't know that it is high in salt and low in nutrients that is needed for the body.

That week I only had $30 to spend on ready made meals.

Monday:
I had the cup of soup beef noodles bought from my local milk bar for $2. They weren't really that appetizing, but I thought I better start.

They weren't fulfilling at all. So I had added last nights leftovers to the mix. The soup was really salty.

I was really hungry afterwards that I could not sleep. I guess I can understand how a student would feel if they just had one square meal a day.

Tuesday:

I bought a box of Wokka Noodles for $3.87. I can't believe how cheap some of the ready made meals are at Coles- 2 for $7.


This one had a lot of salt in there and about half the box was full of noodles. I paid for a big box but didn't expect so little.

As I went home that afternoon I felt the salt spike in my body and I felt really hungry. Also my mouth dried up and I had this horrible bad breath.

For dinner that night I just had soup from Continental.

Wednesday:
I had Uncle Ben's rice which was $2 at Coles. But here I put it with some vegetables and beef which I brought from home hence it was a nutritious meal.


For dinner that night I had Sunrice's $4 curry which was very salty. It had so much MSG and sodium.
Thursday:
I had Sunrice's Thai noodles ($4 at Coles) with my own salad. Here the noodles tasted like play dough and I felt sick to the stomach.

















Oh well one more day left.

For dinner that night I had a pizza which was frozen.
Friday:

I just had Continentals $1 soup with my risotto. It was just Thai soup and it wasn't all that exciting.


That night I had a pie and I was still hungry afterwards, hence heaps more junk food.

Lessons learnt:
Whilst it was cheap to buy ready made meals they were boring without fresh fruit and veg. And they aren't a whole meal without the fresh meats and veg. They can be used as a side.

I certainly did crash and burn during just living off them without any other things such as veg.

Students it is better and much more nutritious for you if you have them with some fruit, meat and veg. These can be easily bought at the market and you'll have a feast in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...