Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Australia is racist towards us- stories by women

In recent months in 2014, the Australian Government has wrongly blamed the Islamic community which has lead to increased incidences of racism, some which involve International students in Melbourne. We provide three stories from International students.
Lady no 1
No one will sit next to me on the tram because I am wearing a hijab

I am a Muslim woman who lives out west nearby a tramline. I go on the tram everyday to uni. Because I am wearing the hijab, not one local would sit next to me on the tram. In fact they all run away or prefer to stand. They are scared that I will bite. Truth is, I don't bite.

I get attacked late at night

Lady no 2
I am a Postgraduate student who studies late at night. Like the first story I also wear the hijab (head covering). I live in Dandenong (Dandenong is about a 30-40 minute train ride) and the Pakenham/Cranbourne line is full of junkies at night. My house is about ten minutes walk away from the station and I don't have a car (or anyone to pick me up late at night).

So one night I was walking home from the station and a group of thugs punched me. Another time someone shouted abuse at me. Another time I was robbed.

I am scared as I am telling you this but I can't afford to live anywhere else.

I was called names

Lady no 3
I am from Middle East and I live in St Albans next to a white Australian neighbor who keeps on calling me names.

I was called a pig once. And then I was called a slut. And then my niehgbour shouted: "Go back to where you came from". I reported it to the police but they were no help.

Don't get me wrong Melbourne is a nice place to study. But some people are racist towards us.

Perhaps there might be a resolution?
In the new year the RNIS bloggers hope that the Government will intervene to stop this racism and harsher penalties for such things. If the racism stops then Melbourne might be a bit more attractive for International students. Melbourne might be in the first place.

Meanwhile the RNIS bloggers are welcoming of everyone no matter where they come from. We call for harmony and tolerance towards everybody. And we are concerned about the Governments action to combat domestic terrorism

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...