Friday, September 5, 2014

New Shanghai

RNIS was invited to dine at New Shanghai by the owner and was recommended to try their Xiao Long Bao and Lychee drink.
New Shanghai entrance by Alexander Yap on Urbanspoon

New Shanghai has been opened for a while in Emporium. They are a popular chain in Sydney having opened five restaurants and the Chatswood one is a favourite for all the food bloggers in Sydney.   They have been fairly busy with new and old diners and everyone ordered the Xiao Long Bao and the drunken chicken. Most people also had the Lychee drink.

It was busy when I arrived at 6:30pm so its best to book ahead. I hope that they get Dimmi soon as it is an easy and fast way of booking.

The bathrooms are near the Myer exit of Emporium. The restaurant shares with the other tenants.

The service was attentive and the menu also acts as your place mat if you make a mess- easier for them to clean up. In fact they are kind to children. One of the waitresses had a frown on her face. I hope she is ok.
Lychee drink (left), Xiao Long bao (right) and Spring Onion Pancakes (bottom left)

The Lychee drink ($5.80) was very refreshing. It wasn't too sweet. I loved the shaved ice in there. It is nice for a summer's day.

The Xiao Long Bao ($7.80) was fun to eat. I have never had these before but I read that you poke your chopsticks in there to make a hole to let the hot soup cool. It was yum and it didn't need vinegar.

The shallot pancakes were fried well but were a little on the smallish side at $9.90. Some siracha sauce would be nice to go with it.
Chicken soup (left), noodles (right)

I really enjoyed the fried shrimp with shallots and noodles ($9.90). Although I would have love to have tasted a lot more spicy sauce or at least given that option at the table. The chicken soup was a nice touch but I thought it didn't work well with that dish.

For dessert I had pumpkin cakes with red bean filling ($9.50). I have never tried these before so I can't comment too much on it. The pumpkin cakes were yum and very sticky. My red bean filling did not fall out.

Many thanks for having me New Shanghai and I hope you have a bonus offer in the Entertainment book soon.

Do come and try this for yourself.  To the Sydneysiders who are thinking of coming to Melbourne, there is a New Shanghai in town.
New Shanghai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...