Friday, May 16, 2014

Roti Road


Roti Road is a new Malaysian place in Footscray and it is across the road from Chemist Warehouse. You can easily get there from Highpoint, either by the 82 tram or the 223 bus to Williamstown. The stop is at the corner of Nicholson and Barkly st/Hopkins st. Get off there and turn left. You'll see the Chemist Warehouse sign and its across the road from there.

They also do Chinese dims sims (by the way they took over from Yummies Dim Sim).

The place was steady when I arrived at one pm. But it was mainly Caucasians and students at that time from the nearby Victoria Uni. I first heard about the place from Consider the Sauce blog.
Flowers


The service was very friendly and I loved watching TV whilst waiting for my food.
I had the hot and sour soup ($4). It was really spicy and this packed lots of flavour. But what I could not stand was the little chunk of meat in there. (I am a vegetarian, but can eat seafood). I loved the hotness of the soup. It is great for a winter's day.

I had the char kuey teow (the seafood version- $10.50). I was really disappointed with this. The noodles weren't the flat rice noodles that I had expected. Maybe Bureaucrat from Eat and Be merry might like this? But the seafood was fresh. I had sambal as well and it was supposed to be hot and not mild.
Iced tea- $4.50

The char kuey teow didn't have any wok hei in there. Wok Hei is the smokiness.

The plain roti ($4.50 per plate) was really good. It was freshly made. It went well with the sambal and the hot and sour soup.

The roti tissue ($9.90- but was a complimentary item from them in exchange for a write up), was nice but messy to eat. I had to use my hands and my hands were sticky afterwards. The owner explained that you have to tear it bit by bit. It comes with a small scoop of ice cream with the chocolate sprinkles. They may look like ants, but they are not.
The Kitchen

The Bain Marie

Preparing food.

This took a while to make, but in the end it was good and I enjoyed watching them make the roti. At nightitme as told by Kenny and Lauren through their blogs the roti man comes out and shows us his tricks. Its very entertaining to see. I hope that they do this at lunchtime

Verdict: I would love to try the roti canai, but will steer clear from the sambal and char kuey teow. I would also like to try the dumplings and the ribena drinks.
Roti Road on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...