Friday, May 23, 2014

Monga Sweet lounge

Monga Sweet Lounge is in Box Hill and it was on the day of the Japan festival that I visited with others. I and others were waiting for the bus to go back to the city (note there were no trains that night and there were huge queues due to a huge turnout that day).
Specials

The menu outside


The entrance


There is also one in the city.

They have their lunch and dinner specials and thus this is what attracted us to visit the place. They are also renowned for their HK style toast which I tried. The city one was really good so I had high expectations of this place. This place is around the corner from the bus stop (rail replacement) so it was really easy to get to. It is also across the road from the Box Hill Central.

The service was pretty non existent. The waitress didn't smile one bit and her English wasn't great.

I had the dinner special that day. Normally it is $10.80 on weekday, but on the weekend it is a dollar extra. It includes your choice of one main with rice or spaghetti, drink, dessert and soup. I had the corn soup, fish curry with rice, lemon tea and almond soup with papaya.

The corn soup was nice, but a little on the small side. I would have liked the whole cup to be filled.

The fish curry looked small, but it was moreish. I would have liked a lot more fish in the curry itself and the fish was over cooked as it was a little tough. The rice was just ok.

Again the dessert was small and it tasted little like medicine.

I just had to sample their toast with coconut jam which was on the board ($4.50). When I pointed this out to the waitress, she just said "What?" and looked at the menu on the table. FOR CHRIST SAKE IT WAS ON THE SPECIALS BOARD AND I POINTED TO IT! But the toast was good though and it was the one of the highlights of the evening, the other being dessert.

Verdict: I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this place again seeing as there is a much better Monga in the city. I think this same Monga also offers the value meals in the city as well.
Monga Dessert Lounge on Urbanspoon
The city Monga is much cleaner than this one. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...