Friday, November 29, 2013

Begging and how to respond- is it right to say no


Students in Melbourne you may come across a beggar in the streets. So here's how we approached them.
Image of a beggar, courtesy of Flickr.

Many a time when I was walking along the lovely side of Bourke st I was on the odd occasion stopped by a beggar. I really did not like it at all and would just say no. Occasionally on the train there was a few beggars as well, especially late at night.

Usually it would be for drug deals or to support their gambling habits. But some of them are genuinely homeless. Some people want more money on top of their government benefits. Or they are just waiting for it to be approved. There are many reasons and the list goes on and on.

In Hong Kong and other Asian countries it was illegal. But in Melbourne a few streets are littered with beggars as they cannot earn a decent income.

When I was approached, I just said sorry I don't have any cash on me. And then walked away fast.



On the City of Melbourne's website it talks about how to deal with beggars and the like. It said that begging is a small offense.

But if you do feel threatened you can call 000. The police will just usually tell them to move on.

Have you had any encounters with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...