Thursday, January 5, 2012

Convent bakery
















It was a lovely sunny day and I was in the mood to head down to the Convent bakery. Here they bake their own breads and pastries and distribute it to some of the shops in Melbourne. They also ground their own coffees. I didn't have a chance to sample them today but will do that next time I visit.

It was packed full of people and there were queues and queues of people with their kids. Some people brought their dogs, which are by the way welcome at the Convent.

They are featured in the Entertainment book with a 25% off the total bill deal. Because I was a solo diner I was not allowed to use the offer.
















But I did have a chance to sample some of their organic fare. There were quite a lot of vegetarian dishes on the menu.
I had the baked borlotti beans and toast ($9.50), lime sorbet ($4) and a green tea ($3.50 for two pots- one with water and the other with tea). I felt like a vegetarian meal rather than sandwiches, given that I had quite a few just recently. I was in the mood for brunch.
The tea came out first. The borlotti beans took ages to come out. I had to wait half an hour whilst surrounding tables got their meals first. Those that came in after me got their meals first, which was unfair.
My bread, which was Dench bread, was lovely. But the borlotti beans was far and few. Given the amount of sauce there wasn't a lot of beans in them. It was hard to eat it as there was no spoon provided. The sauce was a little bland. Some tomatoes in it would be nicer.
But the sorbet was really nice. It came in a massive cup and was nice and refreshing.
I'd come back here to try their coffees, chips (which by the way looked really attractive) and their sandwiches. And maybe with Big Fil if he wants to explore with me.

Abbotsford Convent Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...