Friday, March 21, 2014

Thai Food and Culture festival

The Thai Food and Culture festival was on at Federation Square. It was a free event for all to celebrate multiculturalism and diversity.
The entrance
The story of Rama being acted out

More acting

I love the fight scene

The Thai singing competition

Round 3 of the singing competition

Wasn't too sure about this guy's singing
I loved the little girl. She was a lovely singer


Although it was about food there was many performances. I mean good ones like the story about Rama and the battle and the singing contests. I loved the little girl singing and dancing. I really wanted to give a flower but it was about $5 per flower and I have no idea where the money goes to. Some people did give flowers.


I tried the crackling noodles ($6) and a bit of Pad Thai ($4 for a small). The crackling noodles were sweet, sickly sweet. But they were like a firecracker. At least the Pad Thai balanced it out nicely.

I have never had an Thai Iced milk tea ($3.50) before so I was keen on giving this a go.  This is like teh tarik in that it is pulled, but the Thai's use condensed milk to sweeten the deal. Now I'm not a fan of sugar in tea but this wasn't overly sweet



I was also keen to try the little cute Thai icy poles ($2) and boy did it melt quickly. They use this little tub thingy and then they stir it and stir it so that it is frozen and it stays that way. Then they pull it out when it is frozen.

I also tried some small samples of panna cotta and some rice dessert thing (not sure what that is called) and some sort of cakey thing

The festival's principal sponsor was Singha beer and that too was not cheap at $6 a small can. But the hat was free and I loved wearing it in the sun. There were many volunteers giving away the hats. There were also raffle prizes.

There were also massages and there were also kick boxing demonstrations on Sunday.
Thai spices

Some sort of sugar for sale

Incense

Coin purses

Look how cheap these incense are. I would love to buy some but my housemate can't stand the smell of perfume

Many thanks to the City of Melbourne for taking care of its International students and to the Thai community for putting this on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...