Friday, September 6, 2013

Saying bye bye to the night owl

Did you know that staying up all night can have some very bad effects on you? One student tells their story below.

By: Rosemary Yang (not their real name)
Edited: Sally Li
A student studying extra hard. Image courtesy of researchmatterss.asu.edu

I am doing a Commerce course in Melbourne Uni. As you know Melbourne Uni's commerce courses are quite hard to do.

In China where I came from there used to a lot of high expectations on grades and things. I used to study very hard and got good grades. The classes were all in my language of Cantonese.

When I got to Australia things were very different. I had to learn a lot of English. I'm not very good with English, so I would spend all night studying and go to bed about 1am. Hence I had a relationship with the night owl.  Also I lived in a country town which means getting up at 5am or 6am just to attend classes.


Studying until 1am in the morning had some very bad affects on me. Firstly I was so tired that I couldn't concentrate in class, hence I failed a lot of assesments. Also I put on weight from not getting a good nights sleep. When I don't get a great night's sleep I tend to eat a lot just to stay awake.Thirdly I was really irritable and used to yell at my classmates a lot.

In wintertime I got a flu and had to stay at home for a few days.

In the end I broke up my relationship with the night owl as I decided it was detrimental to my health and my grades. I was put "at risk" that semester for failing all of my courses.

To assist me with breaking up my relationship I moved closer to the city. Now I sleep about 7-8 hours a night and use the counselling service to my advantage.

I had decided to defer my studies to do an English Language course to better prepare me for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...