Friday, July 12, 2013

5 things I wish I knew before coming to Australia

 Here are some of the things that I wished that I knew before coming to Australia. Sadly students don't do enough research before coming to Melbourne.
Learning to cook healthy meals is a must

A typical Melbourne laneway

1) Do your research
I did not know that Melbourne has quite friendly people that can assist me with anything that I need. I also did not know that Melbourne has many foods of my kind. In the end I tried to smuggle in all my foodstuffs but customs took it away. I didn't know that I was not allowed to bring in any foodstuffs to Australia. What a waste luggage space which could have been for more clothes.

I also did not know that RMIT had a free airport pick up service, as I did not join RMIT MATES.

2)Accommodation issues- Not that I really had any as I was in Unilodge.But other students did such as scams and stuff.

3) Work issues- especially with 7-11. I had no idea that they were going to pay me so little.  I laso had no idea of my work rights. Nor did I know that finding a part time job is going to take ages especially good ones which need a lot of experience. I did not have a lot of experience working in China as a sales rep or a waiter.

4) How the campus treats its students and staff and what their policies are
I think that that is a really important choice when it comes to selecting your campus. You'd want to be happy studying there as happy students make successful students. You want to know how your campus is spending your money.

Purely choosing a campus for its degrees is not the whole picture.  Make sure you find out what services are available to students and see what others say about the campus in itself. Good and bad.

At times I wasn't happy studying at RMIT seeing as I had lost a friend due to her exclusion from RMIT. RMIT at times treated me very badly by being generalist with all the students who had a disability and expecting them to advocate for themselves.

5) Cooking and cleaning and looking after yourself- I did not know how to do any of these things before coming to Melbourne. That was a bit of a struggle. I wasn't used to this as back home in China I had a maid to do everything for me.

In the end it was well worth learning to cook for myself as it helped save some money.

I hope you found these tips useful. Good luck with your studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...