Saturday, June 23, 2012

The couch and Hamodova cafe

Hamodova cafe is a little cafe at the same place as the Couch that is run by friendly volunteers. All the meals there are free but you are welcome to donate any coins to them as they are always appreciated.
They just opened a little over a year ago and business is going well.  Lots of old and young people come here, mainly the homeless and the students.  The need for free food and volunteers to help run the cafe is on the rise as living costs increase.
Their breakfast service starts at 9am and finishes an hour and a half later and their lunch starts at 11.30pm and goes until 1pm. Their lunch meals always change but their breakfast meals stays the same. Here I had toast with jam, fruit and a hot chocolate. You can also choose cereal but I wasn't in the mood.  I can't complain becuase it is free and as a student I love free stuff. But at the same time I donated some of my spare change.






The couch is in the same place as the cafe and it is free to all students. It is open from 5pm-9pm Monday to Thursdays. It is also staffed by volunteers. Free dinner is served at 6pm, with some free drinks and snacks beforehand. I think all of this stuff is donated by the supermarkets that needs to get rid of the food.

It started in 2008 and is going strong. It is run by the Salvation army. Over the years I have watched this place grow and now it is bustling with many students all needing some sort of financial help or that wants to hang out and meet new people. They have many activities for students and there is games after dinner. There is a TV that students can watch and they can relax in the area. There is also free internet for students to use and the volunteers along with the Salvation army staff can assist students with any problems they have in Melbourne

I met up with a few friendly volunteers during my time. I encourage all international students to get involved in this lovely space.

I am told that there is free dinner at 6pm and dessert afterwards. And then students stay around and chat or play games

The couch is located at: 169 Bourke st, Melbourne 3000. You can take any tram along Bourke st or walk from Parliament station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...