Monday, September 12, 2011

Eat at Rusty Duck Larder Moonee Ponds

I finished my grocery shopping and my bill came out to $46.00. I only bought about 20 items. Not happy.
Anyway was waiting for my bus because I just missed it and the next one didn't come for half an hour. I was starving! So what did I do? went across the road to the other side of the station and had lunch at the Rusty Duck Larder.



Aww! How beautiful is the decor

Here they have plenty of jams, coffee and water for you to take home


More jams and sauces







Here it was lovely and cosy and the fireplace and wood tables reminded me of the country in the old days. There was one big communual table for a big group or a family. Pity the fire wasn't going.
The walls weren't as noise cancelling as I thought they were. I could still hear the trains from outside. They do a lot of homemade goods and some of them especially the jams are for sale. There were a few baked goods for sale as well. The coffee is by Vittoria and the hot chocolate powder is by Fraus. They have quite a few sandwiches for lunch (priced between $6-$9) and some lovely cakes (priced between $5.50-$7) and biscuits on display. They do breakfasts from 7am-12pm on weekdays and on weekends from 8am-2pm. They do gluten free if you want, but just ask them. There are a few vegetarian meals on offer too.
They have limited outdoor seating as most of it is indoors.
The lady there that served me was lovely. She was fine with me taking a few pictures but I managed to sneak more in.
They do have an EFTPOS minimum spend of $10.
I ordered a egg and vegetable roti wrap, a yo-yo, a mocha and a cheesecake all of which came out to $17.10. The wrap was plain and simple which I liked. I did taste a hint of cheese in there. These are found in cafes all over Melbourne and it is quite common for to cafes to offer this to their customers.
The mocha was too coffee like.  I would have liked a little bit more chocolate in there. It was a little bit bitter.
The cheesecake ($5.50) was really nice. The same sort of cheesecake from Max Brenner would cost me nearly $10. But I think I like this version better. The jam tasted a little bit like it was canned, but the cheesecake filling was nice. The base was moist but a bit hard to cut through.
The yo- yo melted in my mouth and was heavenly. Om Om Om! How I enjoyed it!
I'd love to come here with Viet girl one day.
Miss Adriennely and the big group from Eat and Be merry for tommorrow we diet should eat here if they haven't been. Also Eat, Play shop would like it too as it caters for children and has high chairs and enough pram room. They even have toilets and a change room.
There isn't a whole lot of parking at the front of the cafe but you can easily take the train from the city or from Broadmeadows and it stops at Moonee Ponds (zone 1). Get off here and its across the road. Or you can take the tram (number 59 from Elizabeth st or Airport West) and get off at Moonee Ponds junction and then walk up Puckle st til you get to the train station and there it is.
The Rusty Duck Cafe & Larder on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...