Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I paid $800 for careers advice

Students have you ever been targeted by a careers counselor and been asked to pay lots of money? Well this new students Xin Wang from China did encounter this and here is her story.

I am a new student who wanted some advice about a part time job and so I went onto Weibo.com and found an ad for careers advice near my house in Glen Waverley. I didn't want to spend one hour travelling to and from the city.

Initially at the first free meeting I was very impressed by the clean office and the very professional nature. Moreover the place was a short train ride away to Mount Waverley.

My consultant asked a lot of questions of me and seemed very knowledgeable. He also suggested some key areas in my resume to work on. I was not even told about LinkedIn which is a way to get your foot in the door.

Then there was the contract. I was asked to sign away immediately and not been given time to think it through or ask for advice. I was then asked to hand over $800 or go home.

I did hand over the money out of desperation to get a job and to get noticed by employers. I then booked for three more sessions with them to get them to help me find a suitable job and go over my resume. 

They helped me alright but I applied for hundreds of jobs and got nowhere.
Paying $800 was not worthwhile. In the end I had no job and no knowledge of doing a resume. I should have gone to the careers service in uni.

Also I had no knowledge about LinkedIn which the University said that it is important to know about. I could have got a job via LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...