Thursday, January 22, 2015

Things that I wished I knew before coming here

International students who are coming to Melbourne this year, here is our guide. As explained by Sally.


The things I wished I knew before coming to Melbourne

My agent told me all these good things about Melbourne. But they, like other agents neglected to tell me the bad stuff about Melbourne. I failed to Google Melbourne before I came.
* The exploitation of students in the workplace
* I had rights and that I not be afraid to use them
* The cost of food
* My way around campus and the services that are available to students. I did not know these until I was "At Risk". I knew about the DLU though.

The things that I didn't have that you now have.
* The free tram zone and the yearly MYKI
* Free WI-FI in many areas of Melbourne- back in the first year WI-FI did not exist.
* More farmers markets- in my uni days there wasn't a lot of them and they were mainly in the country towns.

The things I wished I had
* More cooking skills in the first semester. I ate out constantly in Semester one. It wasn't until semester two that I started looking at cookbooks and asking my parents for advice on quick and easy meals.
* House keeping skills- my house was constantly messy and the cleaner came only once a week.
* More friends in Semester 1 of my first year. It wasn't until semester two I met up with Katherine at the café
* The chance and confidence to blog in the first semester. It wasn't until the end of semester 2 that I started.

Students do spend the time to research Melbourne before you come as Melbourne has many wonderful places and there are lots and lots of blogs online talking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...