Friday, August 22, 2014

Volunteering at Hari Raya and loads of fun

 RNIS was invited by MASCA

Hari Raya was held on the 17th of August at Malaysia Hall. This was a fun open house event to celebrate the end of Ramadan. I was invited by MASCA to volunteer and jumped at this opportunity. I even met the photographer of JOM Magazine. Sadly no one from Meld and Arrow turned up.

Usually in Malaysia it is celebrated the same way as Chinese new year where there is heaps of feasting and visiting friends and relatives. In Malaysia children are given sums of money.

In Malaysia this is a holiday, but in Australia it is not.

This year's Hari Raya was dedicated to the victims of MH170 with prayers and a one minute silence at the opening address by the Consul of Malaysia. The MD was great as well.
Lunch


There was heaps of food to be had and I had fun sampling all the delicacies that Malaysia had to offer. There were some Australians but not many. The satay was a little bit on the sweet side for me, but the peanut sauce was great. Everybody seemed to favouring the satay over the chicken rendang as the satay went in minutes.
Iced Rose tea




I helped to prepare the cakes and the sweet delicacies from Malaysia. Here it was so much fun and my fingers got really sticky towards the end from plating up. I really loved the pandan cake over the cornflakes. The pandan cake went in seconds. It was moist and not too sweet unlike the other one.

Whilst preparing I also watched them do the rice cakes. Here they put it in big pots and also cut them into smalller sizes. It was pre cooked by the committee.


I also had fun tasting the aachar (vegetable pickles) teh tarik. The teh tarik was a little too sweet for my liking but I loved the spiciness of the aachar. The rose tea wasn't sweet enough and was a little too tangy.

Overall I had heaps of fun volunteering on the day itself and made a fair few acquaintances with the Malaysian culture.

Do volunteer at next years festival if there is one

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...