Friday, July 11, 2014

Spoonbill

Spoonbill is in South Yarra and is a part of the Art Series hotels. Hence I expected top notch service.

It was a lovely and very airy and inviting place. You have to use the same entrance as the hotel itself as the restaurant is in the hotel. There is free water at the entrance of the hotel for guests to drink as well as maps. The hotel gets a lot of tourists.

I made the reservation online via Dimmi, but when I got there there was hardly anyone.  It was a cold wet day outside and all the tables and chairs were up.

The service there was lacking. I had to wait a while for my food and the group of four also had to wait a while. Getting the bill was difficult- the staff had forgotten to cross my Entertainment card number out and it was difficult to get them to come to my table.
Love the writing

I had their $18 lunch deal which included a drink, bread and your choice of lamb, fish and chips, pasta etc. But I had the Entertainment book and that was $9 (50% off the cost of the main).

The bread was really lovely but I had to ask them for it. That which in a fine dining place they would just automatically give this to you. The oil was lovely. Again it was really slow to come.
Oil and salt

Breat

I didn't really like the fries a lot. They tasted like McDonald's chips.With the fish and chips, I expected fat chips not French fries.

But the fish was great and unlike other reviewers they did have pea smash on the plate. It looked like pesto, but it was not. The fish was cooked perfectly. I think this was a rockling.
The pea smash close up

The tartare sauce with great with aioli in there. They really outdid themselves.

5/10- I expected great service from a fine dining place and for bread to be put on the table without having to ask for it. I give them points for the fish and chips. Pity that the service was a little lacklustre.

Won't be back (with the exception of trying John Olsen's Paella) as there is many other places that do Modern Australian fine dining with great service (think Sapore).

Editors note: Spoonbill have a 25% off the total bill for Entertainment members. You can buy the book or the app here
Spoonbill Restaurant and Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...