Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Zen Izakaya aka Kinya

Zen Izakaya aka Kinya is in Docklands near the DFO. If you are driving you can park at DFO and then just walk. It is about a five minute. You walk past the Hilton and the Homemaker Hub and Lorimer st is on the other other. You'll see a big sign saying Lorimer st and a big building with the sign 50 lorimer st and it is not far from there. People complained about finding it and I had a hard time finding it the first time, but the second time around I looked the map more closely and it said it was past the DFO and Hilton.

I bought the Groupon a while back and had to use it. You have to book ahead which was a pain in the butt for one or two people. But I did it via email and so that was easier.
The ornaments looked promising

Goldfish to provide tranquility


Looking at the poster you would think that this is run by real Japanese

They are on the Yarra's edge and out the window I could see all the boats. It is in a quiet area of Docklands.

For $15 I got just enough food for me. And I also added Agedashi tofu ($6.50) to the order.

Drinks are not included in the Groupon. Oh how I wish that they were.

The service was friendly but the manager was a little bit surly. It is run the Chinese.

My table was a tad bit dirty, but that was just a minor issue.

The miso soup was the first to come and it was very powdery. I don't like soups of this standard. I prefer tofu and seaweed and for it to be homemade soup.

The fried rice was a little bit lukewarm and there were frozen vegetables in there. A low light in my books. And it took ages to come out too.

 The sushi was alright. I enjoyed the vegetarian and the fried prawn ones. The spicy tuna was canned. They could have used fresh tuna and the chicken one just looked a bit sad.

The salmon one was made very carelessly.

I ordered a vegetarian plate. It was ok. Meh. Awww for a sushi place they could have done better.

The salad had too much dressing in there, that it drowned out the lettuce. But the crab was good though. I'll give them that. The lettuce was hard to eat with chopsticks- they could have given me a spoon.
 

Verdict: I don't know why people put them down on Urbanspoon, but get the deal and another dish and you will be fine. I know I was for one person.

But if I had a choice and had known about the sushi, I probably wouldn't have gotten the all you can eat sushi. A bento or hot meal deal would be better as the hot meals looked a lot better than the sushi. They seemed to be popular with the workers in Docklands.

 I really do hope that Docklands becomes a lively hub sometime soon, now that Melbourne Star is opened.
Zen izakaya on Urbanspoon Zen Izakaya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...