Saturday, July 27, 2013

Plumes by Katherine

I have been to this Plumes in Maribynong many times before. So when the opportunity to write about it I jumped at the chance. Sally and I went on Sunday.

This place has many ups and downs. I have been here with my family a few times, mainly for dinner. But I decided to do yum cha as it is not something that I have written about.


























The place is busy on a Sunday lunchtime so it is advisable to book ahead as there was a big queue at the door.

The place is big but on Sunday yum cha it can get very squishy easily.

The dim sum are priced per basket and depending on what they are. A standard basket is $5.20. Special things like the pipis are $19 per plate, Deluxe is $8 per basket and Dim Sum special is $6.70. We didn't order any Super dim sum so we have no idea of the pricing.

Its best to come as a group. Tea is $3 per person but you can get many refills.

The yum cha offerings changes from day to day.

But on that day we had:
* Custard bao- it was ok.
* The prawn and chive dumplings- really loved these. The skin was translucent and the prawn was cooked to perfection
* The Gai Bao (the chicken bao) was good though. I loved the fillings in this
* The char siu bao I thought was just meh.
* The veg was great. I didn't need the sauce though

Other things offered were ribs and the prawns but we didn't have a huge appetite. Nor a huge budget.
The mango pudding dessert was not that great. In fact it was canned mango. But I liked the coconut better though.

One recommendation though: have more staff on during the busy Sunday lunchtime. Or just cap the places. Service was terrible. We had to try and flag down a waiter or two. And no one seemed to know the price of the yum cha.
Another good idea too is to have the prices displayed at the table and not at the cashier where people are trying to pay all at once.

Sally might just visit again, but I'll visit only if I really have to.
Plume on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...