Friday, September 14, 2012

Racism and its effects on international students

Some International students may experinece some sort of racism during their time at RMIT. This is in particular for Indian and Chinese students. You may be called names, accused of something which you did not do, be bashed, robbed etc.
Racism is not tolerated in Australia but it still happens to this very day. And it still affects students in many ways such as depression and anxiety and the fear of going out. It also makes students want to go home and not complete their studies.
Or it might be that the shop assistant talks rudely to you when they don't it to others. Or you get religated to the back of the line.
What is RMIT doing to combat this? Nothing. In fact it is going backwards. Their counselling service is always busy when students need and there is a waiting period of one week.
RMIT's special consideration policies aren't student friendly. So students are afraid of applying for Special consideration.

A few years ago in my first year I had experienced several bouts of racism in my job at 7-11 and also at RMIT. I had a disability and RMIT indireclt discriminated against me. Some of the staff members called me names such as "rich bitch" etc. But others were lovely towards me and other students and I thank them for it. They also told off and fired the staff member that called me names.

At 7-11 I was called many names by customers as well as being threatened. Being asian, I was made to work many night shifts all by myself. Whilst I was not bashed I experienced quite a few anxiety attacks as well as nervousness. I could not sleep well at night.

In the end my studies failed.

I quit my job at 7-11 and then worked in a small cafe which was a lovely place to work in. There was no racism and everyone treated each other equally.

Now I also volunteer for the Student Union sometimes and I have written this blog to give you lots of advice on studying in Melbourne. I have teamed up with Katherine to write this.

Universities are doing more to beef up the security on campus but RMIT could do a bit more such as providing more security in the outlaying campuses at night. But racism in Australia is still paramount with about 40 cases happening in University of Newcastle. In particular the Asian students stood out as well as the Middle Eastern. The report is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...