Tuesday, October 18, 2011

exploring Gertrude st

Today I went to Gertrude st Fitzroy to explore it. It seemed like a lovely cool place to explore. A lot of students love to go here as there is some student friendly cafes and places just ten minutes by tram from Bourke st. It is in zone 1.
Gertrude st offers some good and affordable places such as De Clieu, Birdman Eating etc.
Two places that I went to:
1) De Clieu
This place attracts a lot of students, food critics, bloggers and the like. I can now see why it is ranked highly on Urbanspoon. Coffee is by Seven seeds. They have public cupping sessions at 3pm each Thursday. Like their big Seven seeds store in Carlton they only offer sandwiches and breakfasts, but they sure do stellar coffees.
















They have an open kitchen as well as a fireplace.
I bought a vegetable pide ($11.50) and a mocha ($3.80)
The vegetable pide although nice, was a little bit too overpowering for me. They put too much sauce on there and I couldn't taste much of the vegetables.
I can see why Adriennely, Eat and be merry for tomorrow we diet etc like this place.
2) Arcardia
They do coffees too and they were recommended by The Age good cafe guide. But I bought a ristretto from them as well as a portugese tart from them for $8. The ristretto was lukewarm, but was acidic and it did take a while to come out. (They were busy this morning). The portugese tart came out first.
Whilst I was waiting for the coffee I had a chance to take pictures and take information on Fitzroy and Collingwood.












The tart although nice could have been a bit warmer.
They do have a nice homely atmosphere and a lovely courtyard, like the some of the other Gertrude st cafes.
Some other sights I saw




De Clieu on Urbanspoon
Arcadia on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...