Friday, July 11, 2014

Maya Tequila Bar and Grill

 As a $20 Groupon deal ($40 to spend in store) purchased by RMIT Newintstudents

Maya Tequila Bar and Grill is in South Yarra near the train station and it is only opened at night. They open from 5pm.

I went really early on the peak hour train from the city and it wasn't too bad. I got there at 6:30pm and didn't get mains and tacos until about 7:20pmish. But I got the Totopos with red onion salsa ($7) at the beginning and my drink after. Therefore I ate all the chips as I was starving. They weren't busy at 6:30pm but at around 7pm more people started coming.

 The salsa was lovely and tangy and spicy. I think they put Habenero in there.

The other tables weren't entirely happy waiting for ages.

The bathrooms are up an old flight of steps, ones in which somebody could easily trip over when wearing heels. Luckily having worked all day I was in flats.

But I loved looking at the wall of Spanish posters.

The guys that served me were very friendly. I loved watching the bartender doing his thing whilst waiting a very long time for my food. Originally I had planned for a quick meal.

The Verduza mocktail ($7) was lovely and tasted like candy because of its apple and passionfruit flavour. It took a while to come.
Burrito (top) and tacos (bottom)

The smokey tofu tacos ($14) a pair were great. They were not messy to eat and the tofu was just perfect.

THe burrito on the other hand was small . This is normally $18 but during happy hour its $10. For that price I expected bigger and better like Fonda's burrito. The fish was overcooked. The burrito was pan fried and as a result the fish was tough and dry.

The ellotes canjeros ($8 for three pieces) were really small. At Mamasita's and Touche Hombre the pieces were a lot bigger. But still I liked the cheese on them.
The makings of the prawn cocktail. The chef hasn't put the prawns in yet

Someone else nachos on the pass

Overall its a great place for drinks but not so much for dinner as everything is quite small including the queasidillas ($16) that the table in front of me had. I also liked the look of the prawn cocktails.
Maya Tequila Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...