Sunday, November 17, 2013

Rice Workshop by Katherine

Rice Workshop has just opened in Lt Bourke st in Chinatown. The RMIT Newintstudents bloggers were invited to this event by Harvey Publicity and by David Loh (the manager). Sally couldn't make it she had exams the next morning so I offered to go.















David Loh owns the Dessert story franchises, Shophouse kitchen and Food Republik. This is about his fifth venture and he wanted to make it really exciting and something different.

The place is Japanese and the focus is on Rice. The place mainly caters for students as they have everything under $10

Here we were greeted by some lovely Harajuku girls and waitstaff: "Iradashimee!". The place was very crowded and really noisy.

There is limited seating, hence most people stood. I got to watch the chefs in action. The kitchen was clean and there seemed to some sort of a production line going on.


Like Pepper Lunch they have some sort of unique way of ordering which is choose your rice bowl, add your sauces and ingredients and then pay by cash only. Like Pepper Lunch you can have a salad and a drink for $3.50 extra.






There was a competition for best dressed Harajuku girl and they won $1000.

The food was lovely. We were offered about 10 courses ranging from rice dishes to sushi and oysters.

The sliced beef dish was nicely done. I loved the onions and the sauce. But I think the beef was just a tad bit overcooked.

Some of the sushi fell apart especially the seaweed ones. But I loved the nigiri though. The salmon was very fresh.  The tempura were lovely as well. The rice had the correct amount of vinegar and it was at the correct temperature. I hope that they put this on the regular menu.

The egg was something different though. It was cooked at 62.5 degrees.

I also sampled some stir fried noodles- these were vegetarian and I got to say that I loved them. They were nicely done. But the only gripe was that mine was a tad bit overcooked as it was soft.

There was the shrimp and potato mash going around as well as the tonkatsu and fried chicken. I loved the fruit sauce in the Tonkatsu. Its the same sauce that my family uses when doing Japanese cooking. I also loved the subtle sauce in the Karrage Chicken.

As for the potato mash I loved the citrus tang in there. But due to cutlery I found it quite hard to finish.

The spring roll was nicely done- it didn't really need the sauce. I liked it without.

By the end of the night I was very stuffed.

Many thanks to Harvey Publicity and Rice Workshop for inviting me and I hope to see you again soon. I hope to see the lovely ladies from Harvey Publishing in two weeks.
Rice Workshop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...