Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sushi Hotaru Visits 1 and 2

Sushi Hotaru is a new sushi train in Melbourne. They are from Sydney and they seemed to be really popular with the locals there.
Here they had $3 sushi plates here. Everything except for the sashimi was $3. The sashimi was $7.90 and the drinks were individually priced.
You can order everything on the touchscreen, but except that it is so slow. 













In the first visit I had the tamago sushi (it fell apart, but still good), the agedashi tofu, the salmon nigiri and an iced peach tea.

The raw salmon nigiri was a little bit irky, probably from being out there for too long.

The agedashi tofu was nicely done; it was light and you can order for it to be made on the spot.

The iced tea was good too. When it came to the table it looked like a fizzy drink

The second time around I forgot my camera, so borrowed most of the pictures from Urbanspoon. This time I went at 12 noon and everything there was really fresh.

I also had a chance to try the scampi sushi which is the prawn head and the prawn nigiri.  To my surprise there was in fact ginger. Last time I didn't find any ginger.

The unagi and tamago sushi fell apart.
image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

Image courtesy of Urbanspoon


Image courtesy of Urbanspoon

But I loved the salmon sushi with onions and wasabi mayonnaise this time.

I also didn't find any inari last time and this time there was some and it just ok.

I had ordered their specialty of renkon chips and tofu with soft shell crab. Loved both of them. They are not as oily as some other places. Renkon chips is a Japanese type of chip with lotus instead of potato and it is deep fried.
The soft shell crab was nice but a little too soft.

For dessert I had the green tea brulee. What a heavenly way to finish a meal.

Also there was octopus nigiri and I really loved the freshness of the octopus but the rice fell apart.
Altogether I spent about $46 for the two visits.

I would love to visit again and also encourage other bloggers to visit. Now I know why it was such a hit in Sydney with the locals.
Sushi Hotaru on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...