Friday, October 4, 2013

I worked in the racing industy- story by an International student

Whilst you might have to pay about $75- $150 per ticket to enter Flemington Racecourse international students working in the racing industry were being paid a lot less. And they were made to work in a lot less favorable conditions such as being outside when it is cold and wet. Student X from India tells their tale here.
The racecourse- image courtesy of Wikipedia.

I worked in the horse racing industry and I was being underpaid by about $6 per hour.

I have never had a part time job before.

I was also injured meaning that my studies were affected. I couldn't concentrate during my exams. I fell off my horse because one of my horses was acting strangely. It had to be put down.

I was very badly bullied by my boss.

I was also made to climb onto big horses. Sometimes my muscles were so sore from the climbing.

I tried to talk to my boss about these issues but he just laughed at me. Other workers were paid properly and treated fairly. Because I was an International student I was not. Because my skin was dark racial abuse was imminent.

The effects it had on me as a student
 I was renting a place in the city meaning that I had to pay about $350 per week for rent. On top of that I also had to pay my tuition fees of $10000 per semester. Most days I only just survived on one square meal or two minute noodles. Sometimes there would be free food by the Uni. But other than that I had to live below the poverty line.

I was severely depressed. I had to apply for Special consideration through my university and that affected my studies.

I also had many panic attacks and was afraid to speak up to my boss. In most Asian countries we have learnt to respect our boss and think that the boss is always right.

At one stage my legs were severely injured meaning that I had to have surgery or I couldn't walk for the rest of my life. My OHSC didn't cover expenses for having surgery in hospital. I had to take out a lot of money for that. My boss didn't pay any Workcover insurance for me. Workcover is a type of workers insurance so if you get badly injured at work then your boss has to pay that insurance.


The Fair Work Ombudsman is currently auditing the racing industry so hopefully there will be some results soon. The student got a better paying job elsewhere. Right now this sort of stories are quite common in Australia and students you can always check out your rights on the Fair Work site


No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...