Friday, September 27, 2013

Bribery at University- a student tells of how a university passed her

By: Kenneth (not his real name)Edited: Katherine
Bribery is an act of cheating. This happens a lot at RMIT, although they are getting better at this. This is Kenneth's story


In 2010 a lecturer bribed me. He asked me to pay about $1500 for him to pass me. At that time I was failing subjects and was "At risk". I thought well great well I can pay him the money to cheat

I was studying at Bundoora Campus. I studied Nursing.  I was in first year. I had just come from China.

My English was really poor and at that time there were English support services at Bundoora campus. At that time I had no one that I can talk to. I wasn't really prepared for this feeling of loneliness and isolation. There weren't all that many chances to make friends as all the local students usually go home after the lectures and tutes. The Student Union runs this free weekly BBQs which all the students stay for just the free food.

As Nursing requires good English and sound knowledge, RMIT should have just failed me. Moreover they should have implemented a band of 8 for the IELTS. At that time I only needed a 6 to get in.

The lecturer felt sorry for me and really wanted to pass me so that I can graduate from Uni with no problems. Moreover they wanted to attract more International students to study at RMIT.

Because Bundoora was a really lonely campus the staff felt like they can do whatever they wanted without consulting anyone. There was no senior management up there checking on them. The senior management resides in an office in the city.

I sat the exam but found that I got a grade of 23%. For this compulsory exam the lecturer said that I can get the answer sheet and copy everything direct to my exam. In China we always obey the lecturer without any questioning. I had no idea about cheating in exams nor did I know what the university policies are and my rights.

Student X (a local) saw me and complained about me to the Academic registrar. The lecturer was expelled from RMIT and I was suspended for about 6 months for the cheating. I was also fined $750.

Lessons I learnt was to be wary of anyone bribing you just so that you can pass the subject. Also you have rights to a decent education. RMIT should increase the band of IELTS to 8 so that more students can pass properly.

Students if you are found cheating you should see your Student Union at your campus as all Australian Universities have similar policies to this on cheating and they can assist you with your response to the University. You do have rights and responsibilities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...