Friday, August 23, 2013

"I got cyber bullied" a story by an International student

By: A Chinese female student who doesn't want to be named
Edited: Sally Li

" I was born in a rural part of China where there was no Internet. Hence I had no idea of cyber bullying and my rights"

" When I came to Australia I was so desperate to make friends that I made a Facebook profile and put lots of my private information out there. All my private photos were up there".

"Very soon all my information got passed around without me knowing it. I had just started my bachelors degree in a business course in Melbourne  and had limited English. My IELTS was a band of 6. Hence my English was not good"

" I was followed and received a lot of unwanted text messages. My parents received many spam messages and they thought that their daughter needed real money to be sent to her. I eventually had the guts to explain to them that all my stuff was out there".

" I became really depressed and failed classes. I also came to uni with unexplained cuts and bruises. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that so much of my information was out there"

" In the end I was at risk at my university for failing so many classes and had to fork out another $18000 in tuition money just to repeat those subjects. My parents business went bankrupt back home due all the money that they had lost. They too could not sleep and they ended borrowing a lot of money from their friends and doing fundraising activities to support me".

 " I was not happy. If only my uni would educate us on cyber bullying and your rights on the Internet".

Lessons learnt:
*Be wary of putting personal information on sites like Facebook, such as mobile phones etc.
* Don't just use Facebook to make friends. Rather meet them at a club or society
* Don't talk about money online.

The team hopes that the Universities would educate students on how to use social media safely and Information privacy online as many students are caught up in these sorts of scams. We also hope that Meld writes another article on these sorts of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...