Monday, July 4, 2011

Boathouse breakfast

Today it was so cold that I felt like eggs for breakfast while I was out and walking around the Maribyrnong river. I remembered passing the "Boathouse" a few times and seeing that it was always busy on a Sunday morning and smelling like bacon and eggs. So I decided to check it out for myself.
I have heard that this place is owned by Gary Mehigan from Masterchef. So on that note my expectations were quite high.
This place is full of exercise junkies like me, young mums and dads, kids and some uni students. You can catch the number 57 tram from the West Maribyrnong city or 82 tram from Footscray and Moonee ponds and get off at Maribyrnong park. The restaurant from the stop is about 100 metres away from the tram stop. Outside of the restaurant is a playground. You can also ride your bike here and park it on the bike racks (or on the veranda railings) nearby.



Here's where you can park your bikes and your dogs if you have. See this place is dog friendly.

The comfy cushions

Inside the place was nice and cosy. I arrived at around 10am. The service staff were courteous but they forgot to ask me where I wanted to sit. I didn't mind sitting inside near the open fire on this cold day, but in summer outside would be nicer.
Their limited menu

My hot choc which I expected it to be bigger

How cute and old fashioned are the water jugs!



There are limited vegetarian choices available. The only ones were soup. All the rest of them were meat and seafood dishes. They only gave me a limited breakfast menu.
What I had: hot chocolate ($4), eggs on toast ($12) and to finish it off a yoyo ($3). For $4 hot chocolate, I expected it to be a bit bigger. But I did like the taste of the chocolate and the froth. And I loved the free sugar cubes they were so sweet.


The $12 eggs could have been a bit better. In the scrambled eggs they could have put a bit more milk in it to make it more fluffy. The eggs were a little bit detached and not as fluffy as I would have liked. They were a bit bland without the herbs in it. A bit more herbs could have made it a bit better and worth the money. I did like the bread ( it was from Phillipa's bread), but it was so hard that it was hard to cut. They should have offered a better knife to cut the bread or lightly toast it so that there is still some moisture left.
The yoyo, eventhough it was small, it was good. I loved the cream and sweet sugar punch that it gave. What a lovely way to finish the meal.
Gary Mehigans books on display

Their limited range of cakes. I expected them to have more but they didn't. I really wanted a Portuguese tart but they did not have it.

Some of the produce they have
Boathouse on Urbanspoon
I would come back here only to try the coffees, cakes and toast. I'm not so sure about recommending the meals though. They do take aways so if you are in a hurry to get to city and need a coffee to wake you up then I suggest coming here and buying a take away coffee to drink on the tram

Visit no 2: 10/10/11
This time I thought that they redeemed themselves and I thought I might try out the Veneziano blend of coffee. I went here only just to get a coffee and got a muffin, piccolo and a yo-yo biscuit for $9.50. The yo-yo biscuit was quite small for the price of $3. The piccolo ($3.50) was lukewarm, almost cold and they had no idea as to what ristretto was. What sort of cafe that serves piccolos does not know what ristretto is!!!!.
But the muffin redeemed itself. It was really warm and not too sweet. I don't know whether it was white or banana one that I had but it was good. It was good for the price of $3.
This time I got to sit outside and watch the world go by.

Visit no 3: 10/4/2012
This time it was a rainy day so I sat on the lovely comfy couches and ordered a mocha. This time the mocha and the atmosphere was just perfect. I disagree with some of the latest opinions on Urbanspoon site. The fireplace was just perfect and warm.
The yoyo not so.
The service wasn't too bad, except there were no smiles or a hint of friendliness from the manager. Everyone else was friendly though

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGFG Recommended Blogger

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...